Scroll down for more.

From: History of North Brookfield, Massachusetts by J.H.Temple, published by The Town of North Brookfield. 1887.

pp. 448-463.

Land Grants

Index and Explanations of the Map [by Charles E. Jenks]

For the sake of convenience of reference the numbering of lots begins at the upper left hand corner and follows the method of the printed page instead of beginning with the earliest grants and following a chronological order. The latter system might perhaps be more logical, but itwould complicate the arrangement without a corresponding advantage.

No. 1 - Samuel Owen. Granted 1721; owned 1758 by James Wood.

No. 2 - William Ayres. Granted 1756.

No. 3 - Heirs of Matthew Scales. This, and part of No 14, granted 1748; sold 1749 to William Ayres.

No. 4 - William Ayres. Granted 1748; (See No 5.)

No. 5 - Joseph Jennings. Granted 1722; sold with No 4 1749 to Daniel Matthews Jr., who first built and lived here.

No. 6 - Samuel Owen.Granted 1721; sold 1722 to Ebenezer Marsh.

No. 7 and No. 15 - Thomas Rich. Granted 1721; sold to Samuel Ware, who probably built the first house, sold 1746 to Jedediah How.

No. 8 - William Ayres. Sold to Joseph Ayres.

No. 9 - Joseph Ayers. Granted 1720 and 1721; a hundred acres of the west part sold to his grandson Benjamin Kimball who built a house, the remainder sold 1739 to his son William Ayers, who sold 1762 sixty five acres to Rufus Putnam, having already built a house there, which stood till 1885.

No. 10 - Tilly Mirick. Granted 1721; sold 1729 to Henry Lee, who sold same year to Col Thomas Fitch of Boston, who at his death, owned this and Nos 17, 37, 46, and 57. Col Fitch's will, probated 1736, makes sons-in-law James Allen and Andrew Oliver executors. Most of these lots came to William Brattle of Cambridge, by whom they were sold to settlers. They are frequently referred to as “Mr. Allen's land,” “Oliver land,” “Madame Brattle's land,” and “William Brattle's land.”

No. 11 - Thomas Barns. Granted 1721, together with most of No 19; Parts of these lots were sold 1749 to Nathan Barker, he sold 1759 to Nathaniel Wait, who built the first mills here. In 1766 twelve acres were sold to Francis Stone and in 1769 Stone had a grant of twenty three acres marked S.

No. 12 - Jabez Olmstead. (See No 42.)

No. 13 - Joseph Prichard. Granted 1719 to JP son of William Prichard deceased; sold 1746 to Thomas Hale who built a house afterward occupied by him and his descendants.

No. 14 - (See No 3.)

No. 15 - Thomas Rich. Two hundred acres granted 1721; conveyed 1724 for£60 to Samuel Barnard, by him to Samuel Ware, by him 1747 for £712 old tenor to Jedediah How. Stephen Rice bought Oct 22 1765, eighty six acres with house and barn for £300, sold Feb 13 1773 for £346 to Nathan Carruth of Westboro house wright. (See No 7.)

No. 16 - Joseph Ayres. Granted 1721.

No 17 - (See No 10.)

No. 18 - John Ayres. Granted 1721.

No 19. - (See No 11.)

No. 20 - William Ayres and others. Granted 1746; this and eight acres granted to John Hamilton are sold 1748 to Benjamin Batcheller, who is living here 1749; sold 1766 to Samuel Hall of Grafton, sold 1770 to Francis Kidder of Sutton, sold 1773 to Job Simmons, and conveyed by him 1784 to Jonathan Nye, and from him to Ebenezer Nye, and by him to Bonum Nye.

No. 21 - Arthur Tucker's Children. Granted 1742; to Thomas Tucker, who probably built before 1750. Part of the lot was granted 1757 to Ichabod How; in 1767 to Silas How, in 1754 to Benjamin Adams, and to Thomas Tucker in 1754, 1757, and 1768.

No. 22 - James Aikens. Granted 1717, 1720, and 1721; The north part was sold 1742 to David Kendall, and he sold 1746 with house marked II to Nathan Stevens of Andover, and he to Samuel Hoar. The house marked I, where Aikens probably lived in 1717, and the remainder of the grant was sold 1730 to Gershom Keyes, sold to Thomas Cushing of Boston, sold 1764 to John Witt, who sold 1765 fifty two acres to Samuel Haskell of Middleboro.

No. 23 - Thomas Barns. Granted at various dates from 1701 to 1721; On the death of Thomas Barns, 1734, Noah Barns took the south part on which he then lived, sold 1737 a hundred and seven acres to Jason Bigelow of Marlboro, who built house II, and the farm is continued in the Bigelow family to the present 1886. John Barns took the part next north, and sold 1778 the west part to Solomon Barns and 1774 the east part to Jesse Barns. Jabez Olmstead took the part next north, a hundred and forty one acres, which he sold 1735 to Joseph How, who conveyed 1747 to Joseph Stone, who sold same year fifty acres to Peter Lampson of Ipswich, on which Lampson built house III. Stone retained the remainder on which was house IV at Grass hill. The balance of the Thomas Barns grant was taken by Eleazar Warner.

No. 24 - Noah Barns. Granted 1717 to 1721; sold 1741, fifty four acres at south end to Thomas Gilbert, sold 1758, twenty one acres with house to Samuel Hodgman at Grass hill,  sold 1765, twelve acres to Charles Wetherbee.

No. 25 - Robert Emmons. Granted 1715 to 1720; sold to Gershom Keyes, and by him 1733 to Anthony Cavelly, distiller of Boston; he sold 1742, to Samuel Wells, he in 1747 to Jacob Caldwell, who sold 1750 fifty five acres of the south part to Elisha Hastings, and the remainder to Theophilus Potter of Marlboro, in 1756 Hastings sold the fifty five acres in 1753 to Reuben Hamilton for £45 

No. 26 - John Hinds. Granted 1721; sold 1745 to Seth Hinds, he in 1751 to Joseph Bartlett who sold Mar 3, 1761, to Rufus Putnam millwright, a saw mill then being on the place, and conveyed the remainder of the farm in 1767 to Zebulon Rice, who sold 1775 to Rufus Putnam.

No. 27 - Seth Hinds. Granted 1749.

No, 28 - Jacob Caldwell. Granted 1749.

No. 29 - John Hamilton. Granted 1738; sold 1739 to Isaac Ball, who sold 1748 lot with house and barn to Ebenezer How, heirs sold 1755 to John Bacon.

No. 30 - John Patterson and William Hair. Granted 1721; sold 1729 to Samuel Barnard, sold 1734 lot with house I to Samuel Owen, he sold 1739 thirty acres of the east part to his son Samuel, who sold the same in 1744 to Edward Wright, who sold 1747 to William Wright, who had house II. Samuel Owen Jr. sold the remainder of the lot in 1740 to Jacob Ball of Framingham, who sold next year to his brother Thomas Ball, and the same was sold 1768 to John Bruce of Framingham, then to Charles Bruce, then to Nathan Moore, then to Joseph A Moore.

No. 31 - William Ayres. Granted 1721.

No. 32 - John Ayres. Granted 1721; The Jenks forge built on this lot.

No. 33 - Jabez Olmstead. Granted 1721; sold 1729 to Gershom Keyes, who sold 1737 to Thomas Cushing.

No. 34 - Samuel Barns. Granted 1710 to 1721; sold 1735 by his heirs to Jonathan Barns, who sold 1738 to Ammiel Weeks, shop joiner of Marlboro, whose heirs sold 1770 to John Lamson, who conveyed 1773 two and three quarters acres at north west corner, with a house on same, to Jacob Batcheller.

No. 35 - Samuel Owen. Granted 1721; sold to Thomas Gibbs, who sold 1750 the south part to John Batcheller, whose heirs sold 1767 to James Drake, and he in 1772 to Thomas Hardy. Thomas Gibbs sold the north part where his son Isaac Gibbs then lived to Isaac Cutter in 1752, who sold 1757 to James Grimes, who sold 1771 to Solomon Foster, who sold 1783 to Bryant Foster, who sold 1791 to Benjamin Doane.

No. 36 - Obaoiah Wright. Granted 1720 and 1721; the east part was sold 1762 to Ebenezer Wright, and the whole was conveyed in 1766 to Joseph Bush of Marlboro.

No. 37 - Hopestill Hinds. Granted 1721; this and No 46 conveyed to William Brattle (see No 10,) who sold 1764 the south west part to John Bartlett, who sold 1768 to John Bruce, and he same year to Samuel Edmands of Framingham. The south east part with No 46 was sold 1764 to Peter Harwood and the remainder to John Watson, and in 1789 to Aaron Forbes, then to Solomon and Edmond Matthews, and they to Ezra Batcheller of Sutton in 1801.

No. 38 - William Ayres. Granted 1721.

No. 39 - Samuel Owen Jr. Granted 1721.

No. 40 - Nathaniel Waite. Granted 1768.

No. 41 - William Dane.

No. 42 - Jabez Olmstead. Granted 1714 and 1721; A house was built on this lot by Mr Olmstead soon after his first grant, he sold 1729 to Gershom Keyes, and Keyes sold 1739 to Ephraim Cutter, glazier of Watertown.

No. 43 - Thomas Gilbert. Granted 1710 to 1721; described as “at Tower hill”,  in 1741 he conveys the south and west part to Uriah Gilbert, where he builds house I. Uriah Gilbert has a grant marked a in 1748 and in 1757 conveys to the Second Precinct the east part of the Burying Ground. Thomas Gilbert conveys 1742 the remainder of the lot to Jonathan Gilbert, where he built house II. Eighty acres of this were sold 1758 to Ebenezer Parkman, who sold 1762 to Thomas Hardy, and he in 1791 to Eleazar Bradshaw, who sold 1795 thirty acres to Peter Harwood, and in 1797 six and one half acres lying north of the Burying Yard to Rufus Hardy, who sold the six and one half acres in 1798 to William Doane with house barn and black smith's shop, and he sold the same in 1800 to Walter Walker.

No. 44 - Enoch Hinds. Granted 1719 and 1721; the north part sold 1721 to Samuel Porter, the south part in 1722 to Capt Thomas Baker, then with No 53 conveyed 1726 to Samuel Porter, and all conveyed 1734 to Ebenezer Witt, who sold the north part 1780 to Witt Taylor, which was sold to Eleazar Bradshaw, then to Joseph Poland, the remainder was sold 1780 to Ebenezer Newell, he in 1784 to Jeduthan Baldwin, and next to Israel Hamilton.

No. 45 - Joseph Brabrook. Granted 1720 and 1721; the west part sold 1735 to Charles Adams of Ipswich, the central part sold 1732 to John Maclung who probably built house II, and sold 1740 to John Watson, who conveyed it same year to William Watson of Leicester, the east part sold about 1732 to John Watson who built house III, and afterwards sold to Eleazar Bradshaw.

No. 46 - Edward Walker. Granted 1721; conveyed to Hopestill Hinds. (See No 37.)

No. 47 - Richard Burk.Granted 1721.

No. 48 - Thomas Gibbs. Granted 1714 and 1717; Gibbs also had grant north west of No 42 marked G, a house was standing on the lot in 1717, sold 1721 to Samuel Owen, who sold 1729, to John Patterson, afterwards sold to William Dane.

No. 49 - Samuel Barns. Granted 1717 and 1721; sold to John Barns, who sold 1736 the north part to Benjamin Adams of Marlboro, the south west part in 1747 to Moses Barns, who probably built house I;  the south east part in 1747 to Aaron Barns, who probably built house II. Subsequent owners of the last named part: Joseph Bruce, Thomas Bond, Amos Bond.

No. 50 - John Green Jr. Granted 1727; sold 1729 to William Ayres, and to Benjamin Adams of Marlboro in 1737, who soon builds a house.

No. 51 - Joseph Moses. Granted 1714; and covers a considerable part of what is now the Centre village; sold 1725 for £20 to Richard Burk; he sold 1726 to Jonathan Burk who built house I, now standing (1886); he sold for £1,412 old tenor. this lot with the lot marked b on the north side (which had been granted to him in 1742 and 1745) to Benjamin Gilbert of Ipswich in 1747, who sold in 1756, forty acres of the south-west part to Daniel Gilbert who conveyed the same in 1757 to Dr. Benjamin Gott of Marlboro, who built the first house on it.  The administrator of Gott sold 1764 to Ebenezer Parkman, and he in 1777 to Rev. Joseph Appleton.  Rev. Eli Forbush bought in 1752 of Benjamin Gilbert, nine acres of the north side, and of Ebenezer Witt the lot marked c (granted Ebenezer Witt in 1745). Mr. Forbush also bought at the same time twenty acres still farther north, and built house II; he sold 1760 thirty acres with house to Jeduthan Baldwin, which, with other lands, was conveyed by his heirs in 1794 to John Cutler, who sold in 1797 to Jonathan Wetherbee, at which time there was on the premises a house, barn and cider mill, all of which were sold 1S05 to Samuel Skerry, and by his heirs in 1821 and 1S32 to Tyler Batcheller. In the year 1768, one hundred and eighty rods of land, marked d, where the railroad station stands, was granted to Jeduthan Baldwin. This was the last lot of “Common Land” in the Centre granted by the Town.

No. 52 - William Scales. Granted 1714; sold 1732 to Abraham How, who soon builds the first house on the lot.

No. 53 - William Ayres. Granted 1720; sold to Ebenezer Witt (See No 44).

No. 54 - John Ayres Jr. Granted 1720; sold to John Hinds.

No. 55 - Jeremiah How. Granted 1713; who built house about this date, sold 1747 to Ichabod How; who sold 1762 to Abraham How.

No. 56 - Arthur Tucker. Granted 1720; conveyed to Roger Wellington, who sold 1764 to Ebenezer Smith, who the next year sold to Jonathan Goodale of Marlboro, and he to Josiah Goodale.

No. 57 - Samuel Bush. Granted 1721 and 1735; conveyed to Thomas Fitch,( see No 10) and by Andrew Oliver in 1759 to Benjamin Wellington. The west part was sold 1761 to Joseph Morse, who sold 1764 to Roger Bruce of Westboro, and he to Noah Hardy; the remainder was sold to William Harrington, who sold 1778 to Daniel Forbes.

No. 58 - Josiah Wood and Robert Emmons. Granted 1703 to 1721; conveyed 1736 to Gershom Keyes, then to John Hamilton, then 1744 to John Hinds Jr., on which was then a corn mill, then to Timothy Hall, then to Jonas Harwood.

No. 59 - Joseph Gilbert. Granted 1770.

No. 60 - Samuel Gould. Granted 1757; sold same year to William Ayres.

No. 61 - Thomas Bartlett. Granted 1721; conveyed 1744 to son Joseph Bartlett, excepting a saw mill sold to Seth Hinds, sold to Joseph Hatfield of Sturbridge 1752, excepting the saw mill of Joseph Bartlett.

No. 62 - Benjamin Bartlett. Granted 1721; sold this lot and No 74 in 1726 to Henry Dwight, who sold 1737 to Nathaniel Bartlett, wheelwright.

No. 63 - John Ayres, son of Samuel. Granted 1715; house built near this date, sold 1733 to Daniel Barns, sold 1746 to Abner Tyler of Boxford.

No. 64 - Joseph Ayres Jr. Granted 1718 and 1719; sold 1738 for £556 to John Hill of Rehoboth, wool comber.

No. 65 - Jabez Ayres.Granted 1718; conveyed to his son Onesiphorus, then to grandson Jabez,  he to Horace Bailey in 1819. The north part was sold to Stephen Bailey, then to Cheney Dane, then in 1824 to Elijah Bates, then to Theodore C Bates.

No. 66 - William Ayres. Granted 1714; the north-east part sold 1744 to Daniel Potter. Potter sold the south part to Jeduthan Baldwin, and the same with a house was sold 1760 to Rev Eli Forbes. The house I was built by Potter. II indicates the spot where the First Meeting house was built.

No. 67 -Benjamin Ayres. Granted 1714; after his death, held by Joseph and William Ayres, and sold by them 1725 to Jonathan Nutting of Framingham, gunsmith, who sold this and No 81 in 1729 to John Hamilton, who sold the south part in 1731 to John Burr, late of Ireland, subsequently owned by Samuel Pickard; the north part was sold to Amos Smith, and afterwards owned by Thomas Ball.

No. 68 - Thomas Bartlett. Granted 1717 to 1721; Thomas Bartlett built house on the lot; 10 acres sold 1732 to Abraham How, 5 acres on west part of the 10 acres sold 1770 for £26 to William Bowman, sold same with house, tanner's and currier's shop, 1781 for £120 to Samuel Hardy of Oxford; sold 1782 for £50 to Samuel Watson and Silas Hazeltine; sold 1787 for £130 to Aaron Forbes; sold same year for £100 to Dudley Jurdon, tanner;  sold 1793 for £210 to Ephraim Spalding Jr.; sold 1794 for £240 to Solomon Doane; sold 1805 for $1,000 to Charles Bruce; sold Aug 23 1809 to Oliver Ward of Grafton, tanner.

No. 69 - John Hinds Sen. Granted 1713; house built before 1718, conveyed 1719 to son John of Lancaster; conveyed to Corlis Hinds; afterwards owned by John Raymond, a descendant of the John Raymond, who was the hero of the Narragansett Fight.

No. 70 - Robert Goldsbury. Granted 1713; sold 1721 to Jonathan Burk, 1726 to Richard Burk, 1729 to Thomas Gibbs, 1730 to Solomon Goodale who left it by will 1744 to John Goodale; next owned by Joseph Chaddock (Chadwick) then by Gideon Jenks, then by Nathaniel Waite. The house (standing 1886) was built before 1744.

No. 71 - Samuel Walker. Granted 1720; His son Simeon sold the west part in 1754 to Silas How; he in 1764 to Jonathan Bond, and he in 1777 to Jonathan Jenks. Levi Walker, another son, sold the north part in 1776 to Robert Richmond, and the east part in 1766 to Daniel Forbes of Westboro.

No. 72 - Edward Ayres. Granted 1736; and sold same year to Solomon Goodale.

No. 73 - Samuel Owen and Joseph Rice. Granted 1703 and 1705; meadow sold to Solomon Goodale.

No. 74 - Obadiah Rice. Granted 1721; (See No 62).

No. 75 - Ebenezer How.Granted 1721; this, with No 90, sold 1744 to Richard Beers, and in 1750 to James Smith.

No. 76 - John Pynchon Sen. “Pynchon's Farm” is named in the earliest notices of Quabaug, and was granted near the beginning of the First Settlement of the place. A description of the lot is attested as follows: “A True Copy, extracted from the Records for Quabougue, and taken out of that Book where the Grants and Records of Quabogue alias Brookfield lands are entered while said Book was in Mr Pynchon's Custody as recorder thereof. This done this 5th day of November, 1674   John Pynchon, Recorder.” The Farm comprised 50 acres of upland. The Grant appears to be conveyed in 1742 to Joseph Dwight, and by him sold in 1744 to Elisha Dwight, and called in the deed “Pynchon's Matchuk Farm.”  Elisha Dwight sold 1757 to Daniel Gilbert.

No. 77 - Matchuk Meadows. The larger part of these meadows were granted - mostly in small lots - to the first settlers, before 1673. The southerly part of this lot came into possession of Joseph Ayres, who built the house before 1720.  His gifts and purchases embraced most of the land in town lying southwest of his house. He and his son William, and great grandson William, held this estate till the death of the latter in 1835.

No. 78 - Joseph Ayres. Granted 1720.

No. 79 - John Ayres, son of Joseph. Granted 1714 to 1719; This place has always been in possession of the Ayres family, direct descendants of John; and is the only farm in town that has had such continuous ownership in a family.

No. 80 - Samuel King alias Rice.Granted 1721; Surveyed by John Haynes, and a plan of the same entered on the record, and is the only instance of such record of North Brookfield lands.

No. 81 - Jonathan Nutting. Granted 1727; (See No 67.)

No. 82 - Edward Ayres. Granted 1717; sold 1719 to Benjamin Bartlett; conveyed 1737 together with No 83 to Joseph Bartlett; in 1750 to John Cutler, in 1752 to Job Lane, and by the executors of Lane in 1758 to Jonas Brewer; now the town farm.

No. 83 - Benjamin Bartlett. Granted 1720; (See No 82.)

No. 84 - Obadiah Rice. Granted 1721.

No. 85 - Hopestill Hinds.Granted 1713 and 1720; conveyed 1746 to John Worcester of Boxford, and same year to Deacon Samuel Gould of Boxford; sold 1767 to Nathan Gould; in 1770 by NG to Asa Waters of Sutton; in 1772 to Benjamin Babbitt of Middleboro; conveyed to Capt. Caleb Clark in 1777; to John Waite in 1784; to Nathaniel Waite (a hundred acres of it) in 1787, which Waite sells May 14, 1798 for $2,000 to Uriah W. Johnson of Woodstock Ct.

No. 86 - Edward Walker. Granted 1718 to 1721; The east part was conveyed to Levi Walker, the middle to Simeon Walker, and seventy acres of the Northwest part to Ebenezer Smith, who conveyed 1762 to Silas How, and he 1764 to Ebenezer Bartlett, who sold sixty acres 1765 to Solomon Goodale, who sold thirty acres of the north side 1767 to Jonathan Bond.

No. 87 - John Patterson and William Hair. Granted 1720; This grant seems to have been occupied solely by Hair, on which he settled; the fulling mill referred to in Chapter I was nearby on Five mile river. The house II, erected by him, was the one tenanted by the step-father of the famous Madame Jumel, when she was in her girlhood. See in Genealogical Register, Jumel.

No. 88 - Jeremiah How. Granted 1721; sold 1747 to Ichabod How.

No. 89 - Heirs of Thomas Bettis. Granted 1721; sold same year to Obadiah Rice.

No. 90 - John Clary. Granted 1701; sold to Ebenezer How, (See No 75.)

No. 91 - Thomas Bettis. Granted 1701; sold 1721 to Obadiah Rice.

No. 92 - Abraham Ayres. Granted 1714; Within this grant were fifteen acres of meadow belonging to Sergt. John Ayres, deceased, John Younglove, deceased, and John Warner, deceased. The lot was conveyed 1727 to Gershom Keyes, to Samuel Porter same year, and to William Ayres in 1731. The first schoolhouse in old Brookfield was located in the south west part of this grant. (See ante, p. 200.)

No. 93 - Joshua Barrus. Granted 1714; sold 1724 to Joseph Ayres.

No. 94 - John Green. Granted 1702; and he settled on the lot soon after. (See ante, pp. 172-4.)

No. 95 - Robert Emmons. Granted 1702; sold 1732 to Nathaniel Reed, who sold 1736 to Job Hinckley, with a house kept as an Inn.

No. 96 - Joshua Barrus and Henry Dwight. Granted 1713 and 1718; sold to Ebenezer How of Marlboro, blacksmith, and to Obadiah Rice in 1719, and in 1733 to Hugh Cunningham.

No. 97 - John Parsons.Granted 1714; sold to Obadiah Rice, and the west part to Mirick Rice, then in 1772 to James Drake, in 1785 to Abraham Walker, in 1790 to James Smith, then to Jude Ayres, and in 1816 to John Deland.

No. 98 - Joseph Perry and Others. Twenty acres of north-east part granted 1710 to Joseph Perry; then known as Smith's meadow being “about a mile north east the horse shades.” The west part may have been conveyed to Hopestill Hinds.

No. 99 - Jonas Hamilton. Granted 1720; sold to John Hamilton,  and 1729 to Roger Stevens.

No. 100 - Meadow Lots. Granted to John Woolcott Jr. and others.

No. 101 - John Woolcott Jr. Granted 1721; being “near the old bridge.” This appears to be the lot granted Woolcott “on condition that he doth erect and build a saw mill,” which he soon after set up at north-west corner of the lot.

No. 102 -Arthur Tucker and Thomas Ayres. The east part was granted 1714 to Thomas Ayres, and sold 1722 to Jacob Abbott; the west part was granted 1718 to Arthur Tucker.

No. 103 - John Hinds. Granted 1710; sold 1715 to Thomas Baker; part granted to Baker 1713, sold 1726 to John Green, and thirty acres of north-east part sold to Paul Deland.

No. 104 - Samuel Owen. Granted 1710; sold 1720 with a house to Thomas Gibbs; who sold 1747 to Francis Dodge of Beverly.

No. 105 - Edward Kellogg. Granted 1701; conveyed 1719, together with Nos 96 and 106, to Ebenezer How; and in 1735 to Josiah Converse of Leicester.

No. 106 - John Clary. Granted 1701; with three acres of meadow at “Tower hill” ( the first time that name appears on the records said meadow being at south-west corner of No 51);  sold 1719 to Ebenezer How, and same year to Obadiah Rice of Marlboro.

No.107 - Stephen Jennings. The south part granted 1701, and sold to Eli Forbes; the north part granted to Obadiah Rice.

No. 108 - Nathaniel Woolcott. Granted 1717.

No. 109 - John Woolcott Jr. Granted 1687; a grist mill was built on the lot before 1717, and the house now, 1886, standing was built as early as 1723; conveyed 1725, with the new house to Nathaniel Woolcott “to have the same after my decease and not before.” Nathaniel conveys the same by will probated 1771 to son in law John Waite;  who conveys 1800 to Nathaniel Waite, and next year John and Nathaniel quit claim to Aaron Forbes, who conveys 1808 to Jonathan Parks.

No. 110 - John Perry. Granted 1701; and built upon the same year. This lot was conveyed to John Hamilton, and by him together with No 111 was sold 1729 to Roger Stevens, in 1734 to Thomas Stevens, in 1743 to Jacob Stevens, and same year to Job Hinckley, who by will gave it to his son David; sold 1754 to John Hamilton, 1760 to Obadiah Deland, 1771 to Samuel Hinckley, who sold to Silas Haskell, and by him to Francis Hair.

No. 111 - Joseph Perry. Granted 1721. (See No 110.)

No. 112 - Benjamin Babbitt. Granted 1770.

No. 113 - Samuel Owen. Granted 1721.

No. 114 - Margaret Otis alias Le Bue. Granted Dec 9 1714; on condition that she tarrys in this Province and marry s to Capt. Thomas Baker. This grant of forty acres of upland took in the east part of the lot. (See ante pp. 186) The lot was sold to John Hamilton.

No. 115 - Thomas Bettis. Granted 1701; and built upon the same year. (See ante pp. 159-166.) Sold by his heirs 1721 to Obadiah Rice, who conveyed same year to Daniel Walker.

No. 116 - John Hamilton. Granted 1717 as part of an allowance for encouragement to set up the trade of a maltster.

No. 117 - Joseph Woolcott. Granted 1687; and soon built upon. This was the scene of the murder of Woolcott's wife and two children by the Indians, July 27, 1693. (See ante pp. 146 et seq.) John Hamilton bought out the heirs of Woolcott, and sold 1721 to John Johnson Jr. of Woodstock Ct.; sold 1741 to Zachariah Brown, in 1764 to Jonathan Richardson of Natick, who sold 1797 to Levi Daniels of Medway.

No. 118 - John Woolcott Sen. Granted 1687; (See ante p. 138.) Came into possession of his heirs at his decease in 1690.

No. 119 - Thomas Gibbs. Granted 1721

No. 120 - Joseph Perry. Granted 1710. A house was standing on the lot in 1721 built probably soon after the date of the grant.  Sold 1730 to John Hamilton.

No 121 - Stephen Jennings Sen. Granted 1710; the first eleven acres on the north side of the road to SJ, and the remainder to several other parties.

No 122 - John Green. Granted 1721.

No 123 - John Woolcott. Granted 1720.

No. 124 - Edward Walker. Granted 1710 and 1721; conveyed 1740 to Jonas Clark of Boston.

No. 125 - Phinehas Walker. Granted 1718; sold 1736 to Jonas Clark.

No. 126 - Nathaniel Wood. Granted 1720; conveyed to Jonas Clark. The above three grants, with other lands adjoining on the southerly side, in all estimated at one thousand acres, were conveyed 1744 to George Harrington of Waltham, “with three houses, two barns, grist mill, saw mill, blacksmith's shop and corn houses thereon,” for the consideration of £5,000 old tenor. Harrington came to reside here.